The Dangers of Electric Shock
Electric shock is a serious danger which can occur when you come into close contact with a source of high voltage. This includes electric generators, wires, outlets, and even fields. Any contact with such a source, even if it’s only through a strand of hair, can be fatal; while humans can sense electricity as low as 1 milliampere, it only takes 100 milliamperes through a sensitive area to kill. A death resulting from electricity is called electrocution.
If you or someone you love has been injured or killed as a result of electric shock, contact a Cincinnati personal injury lawyer of Stepleton Dugan, LLC by calling 513-321-7733.
Taking Precautions against Electrical Shock
While injury from electricity can occur in many different ways, approximately 80% of deaths and injuries due to electricity are actually a result of an arc flash, an electrical explosion due to improper grounding. Arc flashes occur due to a breakdown of resistance in the air, making the electricity “jump.” In such instances, it is usually the intense heat, light, and pressure of the explosion, rather than the electricity itself which causes injury or even death. Welders protect themselves from this by wearing protective padding and face shields with dark visors.
Unfortunately, many people inadvertently come into contact with high electricity, and are not prepared for it. The frequency of the wave, which can cause cardiac arrest, is also an issue when considering the dangers of electricity.
As a rule of thumb, avoid getting too close to areas of high electricity, such as generators and live wires. Electrical shock is serious and dangerous.