Having a child is the most important experiences in many people’s lives. In order to deliver a healthy baby, however, you will likely need the assistance of a qualified and competent doctor. Adequate prenatal care is crucial for ensuring that your child remains healthy to term. Without proper care, your child may suffer from fetal distress, a fairly common condition which can compromise the safety of both mother and child.
If your child has suffered from fetal distress because of a negligent doctor, you may be eligible to file a claim and receive compensation. To discuss your legal options, contact the law office of Cincinnati’s medical malpractice attorneys at Stepleton Dugan, LLC Call 513-321-7733 today to schedule a free initial consultation.
Causes of Fetal Distress
Fetal distress may be caused by a variety of factors. Common causes include:
- Lengthy or prolonged labor
- Improper use of delivery tools, such as forceps or vacuums
- Compression of the baby’s umbilical cord
- Lack of blood supply to baby during pregnancy or delivery
- Breached position
- Failure to diagnose and treat any health concerns during the pregnancy
If your doctor failed to administer adequate prenatal care, or botched your child’s delivery, you may have ground for a lawsuit.
Fetal distress may have serious repercussions for both mother and child. Symptoms of fetal distress include:
- Variation in fetus’ heart rate
- Abnormal biochemical signs (determined by sampling the baby’s blood)
- Decreased movement of the fetus
If you are experiencing symptoms of fetal distress, contact your healthcare provider immediately.